Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I can't think of a creative title, so I won't, so this post won't have a title.

So it's been about a week since I've posted.  I think I'm due.  I don't have a TON of stuff to say for a change.
I know, I know.  You don't believe it.  Well, believe it.  Actually, you can believe it when you get to the end of this post depending on how long it ends up being.

I actually had a decent day today.  I am learning more and more how to deal with my GI problems.  I have officially abandoned mealtimes.  Well, actually, I have decided to listen to my body instead of the clock, mealtimes, or when others are eating.  This is going to be a work in progress.  After approximately 29 years (yes, you read that right) of eating based on one of those 3 reasons, it'll be difficult to change.

I have, for the last couple of years, had to make sure that I'm eating on a regular basis because if I waited too long, and my stomach got too empty, I would get very nauseous.  Now that my GI system has slowed down to a snails pace, I don't have to worry about that too much anymore.  That gives me an idea...  Maybe I should eat a live snail at the same time as some corn and see which one comes out faster.  Hmmm...  Nah!

So I sent the hubby to the store a couple of nights ago to get a few things... fudge bars, jello, pudding, popsicles, sherbet, etc.  I have given up on trying to eat what everyone else is eating and/or what I think I should eat, and then just vomiting it up later (or laying in bed feeling like I'm going to for 3 hours).  So, instead, I'm going to eat something light when I feel like eating.

I'm still not getting enough liquids throughout the day.  Water makes me nauseous.  I have switched to lemonade because having something with a taste to it helps a little.

Last week someone recommended to me that I try to get palliative care.  So, I called someone at KC Hospice and Palliative care.  I was very happy after I spoke with someone there at the beginning of the week because it actually seemed promising that I would qualify for some help and that what they would do would really be helpful for me.  However, right before my meeting with the nurse, they realized that I didn't want hospice.  !!!!  WTH!?!?!  Of course not!  She either didn't listen to me at all, or she mixed me up with a different patient.  That got worked out and they sent a palliative care nurse out to see if I qualify instead of a hospice nurse.  However, when she got here, I learned that in order to qualify for palliative care, I need to have a need for a registered nurse (i.e. a catheter, surgical incision that needs dressing changes, IV fluids, etc.).  I explained to her that I was wanting help navigating the system, especially to help me obtain IV fluids through home health on a regular basis.  But, since I don't already have them, I don't qualify.  I really think a lot of time could have been saved if two things would have happened.  1. The person I talked to on the phone would have listened to my situation better, and/or taken better notes. And 2. She would have told me over the phone that I need to have a need for a home health RN before I would qualify for palliative care.

Ahhhhh.... I just LOVE being on this side of the medical field.  And now, all the way from the nineties....   NOT!!!!

And since I'm in a good mood...

No comments: