Thursday, September 30, 2010

Too Busy? Or just a bad case of mixed priorities?

bus·y
–adjective

1.  actively and attentively engaged in work or a pastime: busy with her work.
2.  not at leisure; otherwise engaged: He couldn't see any visitors because he was busy.
3.  full of or characterized by activity: a busy life.
("borrowed" from dictionary.com)

“The really idle man get nowhere. The perpetually busy man does not get much farther.” 

- Heneage Ogilivie Sr.


Busy.  I hate that word.  I am so very tired of hearing that word.  Everyone is SO busy now-a-days.  Or is that just an excuse?  

 

Yes, everyone's busy.  However, you are only as busy as you want to be.  Everyone has the choice to slow down.  Yes, I know you have twenty kids.  All of which need help with their homework and wiping their butts.  I know you "have" to go have drinks with friends.  I know you have a charity event to go to, a football game, a basketball game, clean your house, do laundry, take your kids all over town, go shopping, etc.  Yes, you work "a lot".  You have SO much to do, and SO little time.


It's called priorities.  Everyone say it with me pri-or-i-ties.  You don't have to do any of those things, other than work, obviously.  Even that can be adjusted.  You don't have to work 120 hours a week (or whatever godly number of hours you work).  You don't have to take your kids all over Timbuktu.  You don't have to go to that football/soccer/basketball game.  You don't have to go have drinks with friends (okay, maybe that last one you do.)  


What I just absolutely can't stand is when people constantly say they are so busy.  I'm sorry, I can't take you to the doctor, grandma, I'm too busy.  I'm sorry, I haven't talked to you in weeks, brother; I'm just so busy.  I'm sorry, I haven't called to see how you're doing; I've been _______ (fill in the blank with 20 things you've been doing).  


Everyone can make time for things.  It's what you choose to make time for that makes you so "busy."  So please don't tell me you're too busy to come help me with things, call me to see how I'm doing, etc.  Next time we talk, why don't you just be honest with yourself.  You're not too busy, you're too busy for me. 


You know.  I'm okay with that.  What I'm not okay with is people who aren't honest about it.  How about, "I'm sorry I don't have time to help with that this time, but I'd love to help you with something next week."  Or,  "I can't come over and visit with you tonight, thanks for the invite, but how about next Tuesday?"  Or, "I really can't talk right now, but I'd be happy to call you back later."  Notice that not a single one of those sentences has the word "busy" in it.  Now don't think you can replace the word busy with "I'm helping my kids with homework, cleaning the house, washing my hair, doing laundry, picking my nose, working, trying to figure out the meaning of life, and fixing dinner; Can I call you back later?"  Now, if you really are too busy to help with something next week, visit me next Tuesday, or call me back later, then you need to take the time to figure out why you are too busy for those things.  Is it REALLY because you're "too busy" or is it because you have other things to do that are more important???

 

 



No comments: